Translate

Friday 8 November 2013

Moving the Goalposts

Back at Easter time, I sprained my ankle.
I went to the hospital, and had it x-rayed. Tendons and ligaments were torn, so I followed all the physio's advice on exercising, painkillers and walking.
Ankles are important, you see. They enable us to twist, turn, walk on uneven pavements. I wanted to make sure that I got it back to as near normal as it could be.

Firstly, I was told four weeks to mend. When I wasn't totally better, I went to see my doctor. Oh no, he said - Eight weeks to mend. Carry on with what you're doing. The goalposts moved.

So eight weeks passed and still my ankle isn't right. I went for a run and had to rest it for two days afterwards as the pain returned.
It swells after I walk for a mile or more. Not madly, just enough to know that it's painful and needs to be elevated.
I checked that too. Some ankle injuries take a year to totally rectify - and get this, some never do. Goalposts seem to have a mind of their own!

I'm not sure what's worse, being told a false expectation in the hope I won't take long to mend - or finding out that actually, it can take quite a while and my experience isn't unusual.

It seems that ankle injuries need massage as part of their rehab, too.
Well now, I can do that. The one thing I won't do though, is tell myself a time limit!


4 comments:

  1. Injuries are like house remodels.....it takes twice as long and costs twice as much! Hope you're feeling better sooner rather than later. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one, Robin! I'll have to remember that ;)
      I feel fine in myself, it's more of a niggle ...

      Delete
  2. I know how frustrating it is, I've injured my left foot back in April and it still hurts. Sometimes I think it will always be a weak spot... another one. :(
    I wish you all the best, Pat. Thank God painting does not involve your ankle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you've got an injury too. Last thing we need is weak spots!
      Oh yes, TG painting and writing not affected!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
They will be moderated, so won't appear instantly.