Translate

Friday 4 October 2013

Reflexology .... or something else entirely?

This morning on Twitter, a question was asked about reflexology.
Given that it has been around for so long and developed so much, should we change the name?

My personal opinion was that some people are barely aware of reflexology as it is - so I would prefer to see widespread recognition before a name change.
Of course, me being me, I did suggest an alternative based on Latin - pesalus.
Meaning: foot and health/well-being.

Why am I putting this in a blog post?
Because I'd like some opinions - have you heard of reflexology?
What does it mean to you, if you have heard of it?
I'm looking forward to reading your replies.


7 comments:

  1. Interesting discussion. I’d stick with Reflexology. Although I like your suggestion, I think people would be more confused by a Latin word. (IMHO….. here in the United States of ‘not the greatest system’.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd stick with it too - despite my suggestion! It was fun to come up with a new name, but I really like the old one!

      Delete
    2. edit: I meant to type 'not the greatest education system' .......oooops....I guess I'm an example of my statement! LOL

      Delete
  2. I have heard of it, although I've never actually had it (can't stand people touching my feet). I think a name change might be confusing, but definitely worth writing a few blog posts about what it is and how/why it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone in not liking your feet touched, I've met quite a few. Funnily enough, I've handled their feet! Writing about what it is and how it works is tricky, now. We come under some web-based advert ruling and can't write anything online without trial based proof. Have yet to work out how to clone one person so I can do a double blind trial on them!

      Delete
  3. I've heard of reflexology and had some successful treatments a few years ago. It is called reflexology in Dutch too, why change the name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name change was only a discussion about whether we ought to and if we did, what could we call it? The discussion started because reflexology has grown so much since the term was first coined; with many avenues, such as advanced reflexology, auricular reflexology, vertical reflex, nerve reflex and stacks more.. we wondered could there be a new term that would encompass all?

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
They will be moderated, so won't appear instantly.