Translate

Friday 27 September 2013

Open House weekend and meeting a fabulous Sculptor

I recently went to visit Fairkytes Arts Centre, who were taking part in the Open House Weekend - and holding an art fair on the same day.
The history behind Fairkytes goes back a long way; Joseph, the son of the prison reformer Elizabeth Fry lived there. Prior to its use as an Arts Centre, it used to be a library.
It's also the place where I go to art every week - so I can say from experience how wonderful, how helpful the staff are.



Having had a look around the building, I proceeded into the marquees, both out front and in the back garden.

I had a wonderful surprise awaiting me in the back garden - the work of a sculptor which was awe inspiring! His name was Otis, he put together all of these sculptures, using nuts, bolts, washers and spanners.




I was privileged to have a talk with Otis. We sat at a table and talked about his art, while a jazz band played in the background. Otis told me he'd trained as an electrician, but he had this incredible creative streak. Incredible is my word, because seeing these sculptures up close was an experience like no other. They called to me and my senses delighted in them. Otis kindly showed me some photos on his phone of a full size American Quarter Horse he is currently making. Those pictures were awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing it in real life. The saxophonist from the jazz band came over to look at Otis' sax - and he was very complimentary, saying it must have been modelled on a treble sax - I didn't even know there were alto and tenor saxophones!
If you'd like to see more of Otis' work, take a look at his website: HERE


9 comments:

  1. I love going to events like this, you are so lucky. Otis' work does look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these kind of events, too, Ann. Otis work is stunning.

      Delete
  2. That horse is beautiful and to think what he made it from. He is truly gifted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is gifted, Betty. I'm waiting to see the quarter horse - that will be fab!

      Delete
  3. This is so cool! Wish I could see it IRL. Thanks for sharing, Pat, I'm off to visit his site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite an experience to see it IRL, you'd have loved it, Robin.

      Delete
  4. Wow, amazing sculptures! That horse is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until you see his Quarter Horse, Judy - that was shaping up to look outstanding!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
They will be moderated, so won't appear instantly.