Translate

Sunday 5 January 2014

The Magic of Creativity.... and a wand that a wizard would be proud of!

Today I want to show you some of my husband's magical wood turning.

He takes pieces of wood like this:


and turns them - on his lathe - into something beautiful like this:






I loved Walt Disney's Fantasia - if I close my eyes, I can still see both the sorcerer's apprentice and the Conductor of the Orchestra waving their own wands to both create a form of magic.
After Fantasia, I can see in my mind, the world of that young wizard, Harry Potter.  So many wizards using wands.

The creativity involved in making these items - and any form of art - is, in a way, a type of magic too.  The world would be poorer without creativity and art.

For those who like to know these things - the wand stand is made of English Oak. The wand itself is made of walnut and oak.


14 comments:

  1. Wow!...this is SO clever. I really love wood and for people like your husband to be able to make things like this is wonderful. Do tell him Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read it to him. Ann. He thanks you, kindly xx

      Delete
  2. It is beautiful and he did a great job. Now I know that there are two very creative people in your home. Very lucky Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty. I think it's the best piece he's made to date. I do feel lucky to have it! xx

      Delete
  3. Wonderful! What a talented couple you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waow that is fabulous, really really fabulous Well done Paul x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynne. Paul grinned as I read these out to him!

      Delete
  5. Oh that is great , art is art :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didnt know your hubby did wood turning, How talanted. Something I would love to do. I love the feel of wood when it is turned - I cant help touching :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, it was one of the courses he took when he injured his back. You're so right too, turned wood is so tactile! I can't help but pick up the wand and wave it, conducting my own imaginary orchestra :)

      Delete
  7. It's a work of art Pat. Well done Paul, looking forward to seeing more of your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The foot rollers and these pieces are so cool! Especially the wand! The two of you should have a gift shop, or do you?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!
They will be moderated, so won't appear instantly.