Translate

Tuesday 14 May 2013

Balance

For the last few days, I've been considering my lifestyle.
All of my favourite pastimes are sedentary ones. I sit to paint, to write, to tweet and to blog. Then I also sit to work!

It was the forced inaction resulting from the sprained ankle that caused me to think. Nothing like having something denied, to make you want to do that very thing.

I'm an internet lover, enjoying the time when I use it to write, research and have fun tweeting and blogging. It can take an inordinate amount of time, though.
So I need to find balance and plan some outdoor and exercise time into each day. Otherwise I might miss the sunshine - when we have it - the beauty of flowers and the meeting of neighbours for an unscheduled chat. I'd also miss the undoubted physical benefits my body derives from movement.

My first book, All in the Leaves, was written in less than four months. I've now realised that was far too quick. It meant I sacrificed other things to complete it.
Book Two will be written at a slower pace and I'll take time to enjoy the journey more, raising my head from the keyboard at regular intervals to enjoy the view.



How do you find balance in your life?
Are you still working on it?

9 comments:

  1. Working on finding it too. The last 9 months have been totally off and it's time to make it balance more. How do I get a copy of your book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's difficult to find balance. I think most of us struggle with it---emotionally; physically; mentally.....maybe someday I'll get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful for my dog because she forces me outside for at least half an hour almost every day. Although sometimes I have to leave my phone behind or I end up writing or tweeting as I walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still working on it Pat! Like you, I find I am spending too many hours online. Although I Love reading, and to me reading blogs and looking up anything to do with art is my enjoyment, I do need to Stop myself ..... I'll be limiting my online time to an hour or so per day...soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tonya - a loved one's illness will throw everything off. I'm glad things are getting back to normal for you.
    My book won't be out until the end of the year, once the editing and proofreading is done. I'll let you know when its out - and it'll be all over the blog :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin, you're right! I struggle too, but I'm hoping to get it before long :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda, my little dog is getting older, so no longer do we get the two hour walks which helped me keep balance. Neither did I have a smart phone - which I do now!
    Its so easy to fall into writing or tweeting, I'm making an effort to be more selective now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann, an hour a day? That would be me answering all the blogs I follow and nothing else :(
    But, something has to change or I'll end up with a chair shaped bottom :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pat:) I could have written your post only I don't write:) It is something that is keeping me busy in mind. I've got the same feelings as you have and haven't got an answer to it. So if you have: please let me know!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!
They will be moderated, so won't appear instantly.